Thursday, September 6, 2007

First attempts at the Fast-5

Well, I decided to start the Fast-5 program today. Not for weight-loss reasons (I've just reached my mid-twenties and even though I haven't been working out this year as I was last year, I'm still very much in my "lean" region weight-wise), but because of the reputed health benefits and extended longevity long-term. Yeah, that's right, I want to try and compete with the calorie-restriction people! I briefly flirted with calorie restriction this spring, but really wasn't able to pull through - life just seems to throw too many food options at me, and ever since giving up vegetarianism my motto when it comes to food has been "never say never"! It seems a lot easier to restrict diet to a time-window than to restrict to ONLY very nutritious, low-calorie foods - and since I don't really agree with the USDA Recommended Daily Allowance rules and their ideas of "healthy" foods, which is what most CRONies seem to go by, I've decided it's better to forge my own path than trying to count (and cut) calories through the day. Methinks it will be much easier to say to myself "there's a time for everything" than to just cut every food out, ever. And that totally doesn't contradict "never say never," right? It's not as if I don't already consume a healthy diet, albeit with many fermented/raw foods and a Weston A. Price Recommended Daily Allowance of Cod Liver Oil. Furthermore, if intermittent fasting ends up working for me, I figure it will be easier to ignore an unhealthy freebie if it's not present in my "time zone" - if there's still anything left when that time presents itself, I'll help myself then.

On to the Fast-5! So far today I've noticed a surprising amount of spaciness from myself pre-"break-fast", and have had a very mild "low-blood sugar" headache which, alas, hasn't gone away with my consumption of food at noon (I'm easing in, as per the plan's guidelines, by working towards feeling comfortable with eating at noon before gradually moving my eating window to the narrower 4-9 or 5-10 range). Other than that, maybe a little grumbling in the tummy after 11 AM, but nothing serious. The spaciness is really bizzare, though. I actually left my wallet on top of my car this morning right after filling up for gas! Luckily the stranger who picked it up found my phone number inside and called me to come retrieve it, instead of maxing out my credit cards and stealing my identity. Odd, because I never really eat that much breakfast, just a soft-boiled egg every morning and then maybe a tiny snack of dark chocolate, a sip of kefir, or a bite of raw cheese before noon. Maybe a little coffee with Stevia in it if I'm really sleepy, but nothing above 150 calories. But that does seem to make the difference for me, I guess...we'll see soon enough if this Fast-5 has a chance to really work!

4 comments:

Uberdude said...

So are you still doing this diet? I'm into my 4th day on it. (liftonfitness.blogspot.com)

Any results so far?

I too am mainly doing the diet for it's ease of use. I find not having to mess w/ eating during the day very time effective. My bodyweight hasn't changed any yet.

OnMon said...

I am still doing it, albeit casually (weekends off) - just haven't had time to post again yet!

I'm planning to combine Fast 5 and the IF diet proposed by Michael Eades on his Protein Power blog, and since I'm doing this for life extension, not weight loss, I'm taking my time in shortening my window...so I haven't moved beyond a 3 PM "break fast" yet.

I definitely need to work on upping my workout though. I want to start alternating my morning yoga with lifts, and hopefully finding some time to throw some more cardio in during the day - I wish I still had a job where I biked to work! Still, with the time freed up from breakfast, there's definitely already more time to work out. Isn't it exciting how much more time efficient this plan is?

Thanks for commenting!

clear said...

if you have more hunger problem try to drink lot of water when ever you are more hungry and eat sufficient food. But for more hunger drink water. That would be helping to you.

With wishes: Toe Fungus, Nail Fungus

hemroidtreatment said...

you have to control your hunger. As you need to know the reason behind your problem. We could get rid of our many problems as hemorrhoid by getting the knowledge about them. Yoga is best for controlling the mind thus hunger also.