Monday, September 10, 2007

An IF-free weekend, and ideas for IF scheduling

Well, having had a non-IF weekend, I can come back and report on Friday being IF at least. The good news is that I didn't have the "low blood sugar" headaches at all Friday AM and was able to make it without eating to 1:30 PM, when I grabbed lunch with a friend. I ate dinner that night and didn't stop eating until 11 PM. Then I decided to let things go lax and have a weekend off, enjoying gelato at midnight Saturday on the dock with my boyfriend (as a bonus, it was quite romantic!) and a barbecue party Sunday night. I meant to cut myself off at 10 PM Sunday in order to get used to that as my cutoff time, but I ended up still taking little bites at 11:50 Pm while we were cleaning up from the party! Oh well. Truthfully, if I can train my body to respond to fasting (which so far it's done very well with learning to skip my first meal), since I'm practicing IF for life-extension benefits and not as a means of losing weight, there's no need to practice it on the weekends. Looking at different versions of IF, I think I've figured out a schedule of mostly 19-hr fasting days, with then Saturday's on or off as desired. Then as a rule I'll do Saturday night-Sunday morning-Sunday afternoon having all three meals in that order dinner-breakfast-lunch, cut my eating window short at 5 (maybe with a small supplement snack at 4 PM) and then going 24 hours before starting to eat again at 5 on Monday. I gotta say, having a big fancy breakfast once a week sounds really nice. I love lots of classic breakfast foods: homemade porridge, lox and bagels, crepes with Nutella and bananas, omelets and sausages and scrambled eggs, oh my! Going all out on breakfast can be really fun, whether it's done at home or a fancy brunch place, but there's no reason to do it more than once a week. Plus this way, if my body adapts, I'll enjoy the benefits of an extra long 24 hr fast, which in all the documentation of IF in rodents is demonstrated to be the most beneficial - one day of eating, with at least one day's rest in between.

The nicest thing about deciding to try IF is that since I'm doing this to maintain health, I can ease in as slowly as I like - if it takes me more than a week to move to the 5-10 window, that's really no big deal. I'm not in any rush to lose weight or unhappy with the way I look, so there's nothing really to get me down about taking my time and having my body adjust to new eating patterns. I'm also really excited by all the extra time I'll be having. Already I've taken advantage of it by upping my morning yoga workout from 15 minutes to 30. If I can skip lunch too then I'll take that time to go for a jog, too - or maybe just respond to personal emails and update this blog with more food-info. At home I can get more cleaning and errands done (dry cleaning and shoe repair, oy!), work on art and craft projects I've been dreaming about, and organize my digital photos and my Flickr account. Or just take a deep breath and meditate.... COOL BEANS.

2 comments:

clear said...

Holidays are made for enjoying them and do the pending works. We can schedule our holiday for new developments in our life. As if we have some common health problems as nail fungus or toe fungus then we make schedule to take advice of doctors to cure them and live better.

hemroidtreatment said...

Scheduling is necessary for catch the goals we can spend time for make plans for curing of our life's health problems as some common like hemorrhoids which could early be prevent by getting full knowledge about them .